To respect and safeguard the environment and the renewal of natural resources are the fundamental guiding principles for our processes and activities.
We are engaged in:
- Using natural resources responsibly
- Monitoring the efficiency of raw material use
- Promoting the use of renewable energy resources
- Reducing the use of energy
- Limiting greenhouse emissions
- Reducing waste through efficient manufacturing
- Minimizing and recycling waste
We adopt a sustainable approach throughout the whole supply chain; we privilege working with suppliers who pursue a sustainable model of development; and we promote the development of the most sustainable technologies with our trade associations.
CERTIFIED ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
- We adopt ISO 14001 certified environmental management systems to ensure the integration of best practices on environmental sustainability. Emissions, waste and energy use are continuously monitored and improved.
- We promote means of transportation other than road transport for product distribution; in particular, our food division has reached a 6.8% reduction of CO2 emissions per ton of product transported between 2011 and 2013;
- The plant in Bühl, Germany, has achieved the goal of “no impact” of CO2 emissions in the atmosphere thanks to its interventions to improve environmental performance;
- The food division has promoted an environmental impact study of its main products according to the LCA (Lyfe Cycle Assessment) methodology. The results will be useful to reduce its environmental impact across the whole supply chain.
- Our plant in Cermenate uses 100% renewable energy;
- Our plants in Calenzano and Nova Milanese have obtained ISO 50001 certification for an Energy Management System. Between 2012 and 2014, these plants have reached 8.9% and 9.6% reduction of energy consumption per unit respectively.
- The plant in Nova Milanese has adopted processes for the reduction of packaging material and has saved 82,000 kg of wood, 336,000 kg of plastic and 89,000 kg of cardboard between 2009 and 2012;
- The Cermenate plant has reduced its water consumption by 6.9% per unit of finished product;
- The food division participates in the Biocopac project promoted by the European Agency for Research with the objective to develop a new protective varnish on cans. The varnish is derived from agricultural by-products such as tomato peel;
- We are committed to the sustainable use of fishing resources, reason why we are founding members of the International Seafood Sustainability Foundation (ISSF);
- Our adhesives division has developed a new type of packaging made of cardboard and plastic from 80% recycled material.
- 99% of waste is recovered at the Cermenate plant and 97% at the Quimper plant;
- The plant in Bühl, Germany, has reached 40% waste recovery.
SUSTAINABLE USE OF RESOURCES